Freshtown PSK Supermarkets is an Employee Owned company operating in the New York trade area for over 50 years. We are looking for highly motivated people who want to excel in a highly collaborative work environment.
To deliver a great customer experience while pricing, stocking, and rotating merchandise in the Grocery Department; to maintain a neat, clean and visually appealing department and to perform other tasks as required in an efficient and safe manner, within Company policy.
The minimum required qualifications for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ability to proficiently read, write, speak, analyze, interpret, and understand the English language.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- Ability to stand/walk for the duration of a scheduled shift.
- Ability to stand, bend, twist, reach, push, pull and regularly lift 25 lbs., and occasionally lift 60 lbs.
- Ability to work with fresh, dried and/or processed products, spices, and powdered substances without negative allergic consequences.
- Ability to tolerate dust and cleaning agents during routine housekeeping duties.
- Ability to climb a ladder to retrieve items from overhead racking and storage areas.
- Ability to interact with customers in a friendly and helpful way.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Weekend availability is a must.
Performance of the essential functions of this position requires the team members to possess the minimum qualifications listed above. These functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain a neat, clean, organized and safe work environment, including utensils and equipment in accordance with the Department of Sanitation and standards.
- Keep the floor clear of debris and spills.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt, courteous service, and assistance.
- Observe all safety regulations when operating equipment.
- Maintain Unit Price Labels (tags) for all items, doing price changes as required.
- Check prices and be knowledgeable about the locations of items in the store.
- Promote for sale any current charitable promotions to Customers.
- Keep shelves and always displays fully stocked and faced.
- Follow all safety procedures relating to opening cartons and proper rotation of product.
- Monitor Grocery storage area for cleanliness, neatness and preparing for the next shift (i.e. making bale, reclamation, plastic, pallets).
- Handle damaged or return-to-stock products according to Company policy, with priority attention given to refrigerated, perishable items, and sell by date.
- Maintain and order merchandise to keep the product in stock, including using the handheld terminal.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise Department Manager or Store Management of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Operate a baler or compactor.
- Be knowledgeable of the Company’s program and adhere to manufacturer’s label instructions for the safe and proper use of all chemical products.
- Fully stock and rotate all merchandise in cases, shelves, and other applicable displays according to tag allocation and department standards.
- Unload and secure received product in appropriate storage areas using power or hand jack, carts or U-boats as needed.
- Block and face all products in accordance with Company policy or as assigned.
- Understand and adhere to Company shrink guidelines as relates to Grocery Operations.
- Ensure that featured sale merchandise is attractively signed to stimulate sales.
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, in-store use of merchandise, and bad merchandise/spoilage write-offs in accordance with Company policies.
- Assist Department Manager as needed.
- Utilize and maintain equipment as required by department; report any equipment problems immediately.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Local, State and Federal regulations as they pertain to the Grocery Operations.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Company rules, policies, safety requirements, and security standards and all Local, State and Federal health and civil code regulations.
- Perform duties in accordance with hand washing standards and use disposable gloves when handling food.
- Unload trucks and transport merchandise to the Grocery Department that weights 25 lbs., and that occasionally weights 60 lbs.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work all assigned work schedules and comply with all time and attendance policies.
- Dress and groom according to Company policy including uniform, name badge and hat or hair restraint requirements.
- Complete all applicable department training programs.
- Maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Work overtime as assigned.